Occido Lumen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

+2
Loptr Inimicus
Majinkura
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Empty Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

Post by Loptr Inimicus Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:25 am

While I'm going for a Vaun look with makeup (makeup test this weekend, Oct 24-25 2015), I probably won't approach GoeticDisciple's wow!factor, so I'll probably end up developing my own makeup persona over time.

For now, I've got all my stuff, either dug out of closets and storage, ordered and unpacked, or made. Because I'm in NY and will be mostly using this cosplay in the NY/NJ area, I have to use brightly-colored NERF guns, or neon-hued rubber weapons intended for 'practicing disarms'. (We aren't allowed to have realistic-looking toy weapons here and the definition of 'realistic' is broad indeed.) Ah well. We make do and I'm not keen to be shot because a cop mistook my sawed-off shotgun *water pistol* for the real thing at 40 meters.

I did my tooth-black test tonight, to see how it endures for food and drink. Food, at least what I had, was fine. Maybe if the food had been oily it would have been bad. Drink (as GoeticDisciple said) was fine, but absolutely no alcohol. As in, not at all. I thought a sip of my husband's beer would be fine. IT WAS NOT FINE. Did you all know that tooth black comes off all at once in a waxen, angry strip? I did not.

Sun Hunter patch v.1 -- I need some better rez screenies for v.2, must say wardrobe did some sweet work there for a detail we barely get to see.

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress 10255210
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Empty Re: Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

Post by VampireEater Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:59 pm

It's beautiful! Good job. Smile

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:34 am

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Tumblr_nwr72megll1ugedyqo1_250

this might help with the born emblem!

so far so good,and interesting reading your experiences with the makeup process Smile
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 am

Majinkura wrote:
this might help with the born emblem!

so far so good,and interesting reading your experiences with the makeup process Smile

Ooooooooh! Thank you! Been going off of grainy screencaps, wherever did you nab it (please pass alkng my thanks!)?

Didn't get to makeup today as hoped, apparently I had magical thinking about my schedule.
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:36 am

nabbed it off tumblr,dunno who the original maker is,but that's as good as it gets till they release official art of it.
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Quick makeup test v.1 - needs work but shows promise. Mouth creases not sharp enough, scarring in general needs to go on over the white, needs more mottling in general. Probably going to shave my brows - though since I have to dye them for them to show, I may just skip this week's dye appointment. Not satisfied with ears but didn't actually spirit gum them down.

Was stilllll enough to scare the crap out of my housemate, and my regular photographer didn't recognize me when the image showed up on his FB feed, so I'll call it a solid start.

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Sunhun11
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:42 am

whoa!!! that is awesome!!!
Smile looks good to me,but if you need to touch it up,looking forward to seeing the final result.
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:12 am

That's awesome cosplay! You look like to go right on his team!

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:52 pm

That looks fantastic! It's eerie how much a good strigoi makeup makes us all look the same!

I didn't know that alcohol would take the tooth black off so... nicely!

You may want to do a little more black around the eyes... otherwise, this is spot on!
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Agreed on black/darker gray, and I think I'll rim my eyes with a dark red as well.
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:12 am

Yes! The red really makes it look half-alive, half-dead.
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:07 am

Still in progress, in the sense of 'no costume is ever complete'.

Gonna darken the makeup more, add in more sallow undertones. It worked well for outdoor lighting, not so great for dim indoor (with flash) lighting. This is why we test.

We only had five trick-or-treaters, but none of my friends at the party we went to recognized me until I spoke. ("I can't tell if you're having a good time. Or if you want to eat me," said one. "But then, I guess that would be pretty much the same thing?") Is it a New York thing? I'm not from here (NY) so I can't tell if this is normal to have so few kids out for the candy, or if this is the new normal.

(And yeah I know that background really sells it in the second two images.)

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Sunhun12

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Sunhun13

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Sunhun14

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress Sunhun15
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 am

You did an awesome job! I love seeing Vaun cosplay! I love the blue and orange gun and ammo too. Very Happy

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Great job! The tac gear looks great!

We have tons of kids down where I live in TX... really depends on the neighborhood I think.

Always is kind of a bummer when you don't get a bunch of kids though. They really make it fun!
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:50 pm

A friend of mine told me they do something called "Trunk or Treat" here. It sounds boring AF, to be honest. People take their cars to a parking lot, such as a grocery store, and put bags of candy into the trunk of the car. Kids wander around the parking lot and get candy from the cars.
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:04 am

For kids in remote areas, I can see how Trunk or Treat could be a boon... however, to me, it just seems like the lamest thing ever. Part of the rite of passage of Halloween was going out and freezing/sweating your ass off while you ran through the neighborhood, tripped over people's landscaping and small fences (because you couldn't see through your damn mask) and generally having 1 evening where you were barely supervised and allowed out in the dark...

Ah, the good old days when people trusted each other...
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:08 am

The only thing I can say in defense of the locals is this: you saw my costume. I was probably the ONLY person at the outdoor party who was warm enough. (It was under 40F.) I do understand not wanting to send small children out in weather so cold you can (insert folksy metaphor or simile here about how cold it is).

That said, yes, lamest ever. How dull!
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:29 am

GoeticDisciple wrote:For kids in remote areas, I can see how Trunk or Treat could be a boon... however, to me, it just seems like the lamest thing ever. Part of the rite of passage of Halloween was going out and freezing/sweating your ass off while you ran through the neighborhood, tripped over people's landscaping and small fences (because you couldn't see through your damn mask) and generally having 1 evening where you were barely supervised and allowed out in the dark...

Ah, the good old days when people trusted each other...

This,especially since i have vision problems already,so as a kid+big glasses+mask with tiny eyeholes = DISASTER!!
was hard running around with the group of kids from the neighborhood.

Loptr - i too am from NY,was cold only once in my costume,and it was because i was a dumbass and kept taking off my coat because no one would see my costume,ended up with a cold the next day.

Excellent job on the costume btw Smile
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43 am

Majinkura wrote:Loptr - i too am from NY,was cold only once in my costume,and it was because i was a dumbass and kept taking off my coat because no one would see my costume,ended up with a cold the next day.

Excellent job on the costume btw Smile

Thank you!

Ermigerd, by chance will you be attending Metatopia ( dexposure.com ) this coming weekend? (No need to answer publicly or even at all.) I'll be in Sun Hunter regalia for one of the days of the con, and Meg Masters 2.0 for another so if you are there, say hi to the strigoi and het your complimentary packet of worms or white. (Yeah, I found sour apple flavored white liquid candy to hand out with the gummi worms. NERDCORE 4 LIFE.)
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 am

damn thats awesome!!

i wish i could go. but i live in FL (originally from brooklyn,NY)

if i was still in ny i'd have been all over going to comic con!!!
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:53 am

I covet your snow-free winter. That is all.
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:00 am

take it,i'd rather be buried in snow i miss it so much!
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:01 am

I remember stretching my store-bought crap Spiderman costume over my big puffy winter coat one Halloween (grew up in Buffalo, NY)... all the seams were split by the time trick or treating was over.

Have a blast at Metatopia, Loptr! Please post pictures.
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Metatopia was a triumph. Making a note here, huge success.

Friday was spent as Meg Masters 2.0 with interesting social interaction results. (When I got leered at, I gave what I call the 'disappointed package-check' - you know, where you check out the dude's crotch and make it clear you are let down at what you don't see - and while that's always my go-to for unwanted attention, when I'm dressed as Meg with black sclera contacts in, it drives red-faced men from the room, apparently.)

Saturday was Sun Hunter, and I was treated by men as though I was a young man even after I mentioned my age. (I'm a C-D cup and used a binder; my voice is low alto/tenor naturally and the lifts in my combat boots bring me to 5'10.5"/1.8m.) I also was asked repeated if I was running a Strain LARP.  Best part of that, though, was also the saddest. I had found white liquid candy packs! YAY! So when people recognized the cosplay, I asked if they'd rather have the worm (gummy worms) or the white (liquid candy packs) and almost always got some version of this answer: "Ummmm, that's kind of a devil's bargain question. Can I say 'no' and just run away instead?"

GoeticDisciple, did you have problems last year getting people to take the darn candy? Sheesh.
Loptr Inimicus
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Sounds like you had a very interesting time!

Last year, I handed out regular candy in my ultra-stodgy neighborhood. Not a single person knew who or what I was. That was a bummer. Only 2 kids bolted before they could be given candy (they were out before sundown and didn't make it past the blood-splattered curtain in front of the door - WIMPS).

I did get a lot of "woah!" reactions and one toddler froze to the spot and had to be dragged bodily off my doorstep by his worried mother.

My husband and I went to the Austin Comic Con this year dressed as characters from Mad Max Fury Road so we missed all the trick or treaters in the neighborhood this time around. That was a ton of fun, and we didn't have to eat any leftover candy afterward!!!
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next