Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

Post by Loptr Inimicus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:25 am

First topic message reminder :

While I'm going for a Vaun look with makeup (makeup test this weekend, Oct 24-25 2015), I probably won't approach GoeticDisciple's wow!factor, so I'll probably end up developing my own makeup persona over time.

For now, I've got all my stuff, either dug out of closets and storage, ordered and unpacked, or made. Because I'm in NY and will be mostly using this cosplay in the NY/NJ area, I have to use brightly-colored NERF guns, or neon-hued rubber weapons intended for 'practicing disarms'. (We aren't allowed to have realistic-looking toy weapons here and the definition of 'realistic' is broad indeed.) Ah well. We make do and I'm not keen to be shot because a cop mistook my sawed-off shotgun *water pistol* for the real thing at 40 meters.

I did my tooth-black test tonight, to see how it endures for food and drink. Food, at least what I had, was fine. Maybe if the food had been oily it would have been bad. Drink (as GoeticDisciple said) was fine, but absolutely no alcohol. As in, not at all. I thought a sip of my husband's beer would be fine. IT WAS NOT FINE. Did you all know that tooth black comes off all at once in a waxen, angry strip? I did not.

Sun Hunter patch v.1 -- I need some better rez screenies for v.2, must say wardrobe did some sweet work there for a detail we barely get to see.

Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sun Hunter (generic) Progress

Post by Loptr Inimicus on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 pm

GoeticDisciple wrote:My husband and I went to the Austin Comic Con this year dressed as characters from Mad Max Fury Road so we missed all the trick or treaters in the neighborhood this time around. That was a ton of fun, and we didn't have to eat any leftover candy afterward!!!

I need to finish up my Vuvalini, that's a good and timely reminder from you right there. I would love to have it ready to go (as in, properly weathered) for Big Apple Con. That's wedding anniversary + birthday weekend.

Aww yeah WIMPS indeed!

As far as the Sun Hunter cosplay went, though - I've been going to the Double Exposure events for ... nine years now? They know me. They know I cosplay with extensive use of props and make-up/practical FX, and this was the first time security failed to recognize me AND asked me to avoid public areas such as lobby and bar for fear of 'freaking the mundanes'. While I'll call the cosplay utterly convincing and shockingly comfortable, I was disappointed in security's reaction. There's no way to mistake those weapons for real ones. You can see them five miles down the street. They glow brighter than the cheese packet in a box of Kraft Dinner! (Security was overruled by the convention hotel staff, incidentally.)

Did you also find the costume to be comfortable? Seriously, it's probably the most comfortable cosplay I own, even taking into account the collodion and contact lenses.
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 pm

I wear hoodies, BDUs and combat boots as my weekend go-to fashion, so it was barely a change for me! I'm very small so it was hard to find a MOLLE vest that fit properly - mine kind of banged around on my torso, but not too badly. I didn't do a bald cap, just slicked my hair back, so my head didn't get hot either. The most difficult part was the sclerals, which irritated my eyes.

I love that security asked you to stay out of public areas! That's a surefire sign of WIN.

I want to see your Vuvalini costume!
GoeticDisciple
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:32 am

You sound like you had an awesome time! Very Happy Kudos for looking so good you were ask not to go to public areas.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 pm

loptr & goetic - at least you guys didn't get arrested like my friend did in the UK recently,he was doing a photo shoot as bucky barnes and someone called the cops on him,they thought he was a terrorist! (i should ask him to try doing vaun or quinlan sometime)

i'm glad your costume was such a hit loptr Smile means you did an excellent job on it!
(and did what it was supposed to do in the end!)
Majinkura
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Majinkura wrote:loptr & goetic - at least you guys didn't get arrested like my friend did in the UK recently,he was doing a photo shoot as bucky barnes and someone called the cops on him,they thought he was a terrorist! (i should ask him to try doing vaun or quinlan sometime)

Someone had mentioned it to me during the convention. And of course the Daily Mirror, that bastion of factual and non-sensationalist journalism, did such a bang-up job with the reporting. Hey guys? I can't find the 'dripping with sarcasm' markups for the forum.

I kind of feel like maybe he should have let them film his face, but I also tend to view all of this stuff through the lens of an activist. I've no idea what he might have to deal with in his real life if he'd faced the cameras more. In my area of the US (NYC metro area), people would crowd-fund for him for legal expenses and probably try to get him some kind of professional contract. It's not so good everywhere. Please extend my concern to him.
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Questions about the cosplay

Post by Lynxcat1 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:58 pm

That is absolutely amazing and I adore it AHH!! I just have some questions for you if I may:
1) What did you cover your mouth with? Just the normal make up you used for your whole face?
2) Did you use a bald cap or just pull your hair back? I have thick bangs and having them in my face while being Vaun just wouldn't be good! X3
If you could reply back that would be amazing! Thank you for posting the pictures! Very Happy
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Loptr Inimicus on Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Lynxcat1 wrote:That is absolutely amazing and I adore it AHH!! I just have some questions for you if I may:
1) What did you cover your mouth with? Just the normal make up you used for your whole face?
2) Did you use a bald cap or just pull your hair back? I have thick bangs and having them in my face while being Vaun just wouldn't be good! X3
If you could reply back that would be amazing! Thank you for posting the pictures! Very Happy

Sorry to have taken so long to answer, that pesky Real Life got me.

1) GoeticDisciple helped me out tons with all this so I want to give full credit where it's due. I used rigid collodion/scarring liquid in two layers and then for the white makeup I went with Mehron StarBlend Cake Makeup in White. It's superfine and applies with a sponge like a cream but doesn't have the smearing qualities. Just make sure the sponges you use don't have lotion of any kind built into them or yuck.

2) I didn't, I just pulled my hair back with Got2BGlued and put the same makeup over it! It washed right out in the shower.

Because I live in NY state, I went with brightly-colored Nerf weapons for the sake of safety, and it was probably a wise decision. The convention where I debuted the costume has since revised its (previously liberal) weapons policy so that any prop weapon that isn't obviously fake be left at home.

How else can we help?
Loptr Inimicus
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynxcat1 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Ah thank you so much for your response! And ok, I'm just a little nervous about how my cosplay and makeup turns out. I get to meet Stephen McHattie at a local comic con the 19th so I'm excited! Very Happy
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:17 pm

McHattie will be at Texas Frightmare at the end of April - I'm so there Smile

Please let us know what he's like!!

I'm kind of worried he'll be cranky.
GoeticDisciple
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What The Strain panel was like

Post by Lynxcat1 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello everybody! I came back from HorrorHoundWeekend last week, and I can't express to you how much fun that was! The panel of The Strain included Stephen McHattie, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, and Samantha Mathis. The panel was so much fun! Mr. Sammel was late because he had a 14 hour flight, and as soon as he entered the room he waved at me! (I was the only one cosplaying) Mr. Sammel definitely talked the most with the least amount of time and he was so funny! Mr. McHattie barley talked at all, and the other two actors talked, but definitely not as Mr. Sammel.
Meeting them personally was great! They all complimented my makeup and really seemed like genuine people! Very Happy
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

So sad that Mchattie wasn't very talkative.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Strolling in months late...

Loptr, you look awesome!! Wonder how many people recognized your character? Tiny fandom considering. Regardless I'm sure you got plenty of props for how cool you looked

Lynx- for some reason it seems fitting that Sammel would be chatty. Maybe its just the impression I get from his character, lol.

Admin

View user profile http://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynxcat1 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Babywhatsyoursin wrote:Strolling in months late...

Loptr, you look awesome!! Wonder how many people recognized your character? Tiny fandom considering. Regardless I'm sure you got plenty of props for how cool you looked

Lynx- for some reason it seems fitting that Sammel would be chatty. Maybe its just the impression I get from his character, lol.

He was really funny. The downside is that the lighting in the panel room was so bad that the pictures I took are horrible and blurry... Crying or Very sad
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top