Occido Lumen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This guy. *Spoilers.

+2
VampireEater
Babywhatsyoursin
6 posters

Go down

This guy. *Spoilers. Empty This guy. *Spoilers.

Post by Babywhatsyoursin Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Favorite human. Period.

All the humans in the series have issues to balance themselves out, history which in a post-apocalyptic world helps them survive.

Here we have this kid, barely a man, with a criminial record. He's hardened, hasn't had it easy. But he loves his mother, so much that he'd change himself for her, make her proud.

Spoiler:

But this time there's a new purpose for it all- it's all about survival and revenge... something Quinlan is quite familiar with.
Babywhatsyoursin
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

https://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

This guy. *Spoilers. Empty Re: This guy. *Spoilers.

Post by VampireEater Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:14 pm

This topic is about Gus, but what is it about Gus are we talking about?

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Gus as an anti-hero, maybe? He's essentially good-hearted but makes poor decisions because he's young and surrounded by a culture of criminality. He then spends the rest of the series trying to atone for his involvement.

I grew to find him more fascinating the more I thought more about what it would like to be a hot-headed, young, under-educated kid from a difficult background faced not just with a survival situation but also a sudden freedom from the bindings of "normal society." Add on a heaping need to avenge/atone and it's quite the potent mixture of conflicting things Gus has to balance.
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 pm

We're talking about all things Gus. :p I didn't have anything particular to say, just wanted to ♡ him.
Babywhatsyoursin
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Babywhatsyoursin wrote:We're talking about all things Gus. :p I didn't have anything particular to say, just wanted to ♡ him.

Cool. Now that I have the idea. I know what's it's about. Very Happy

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by celestial-may Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Gus!!

I love this guy for many reasons: he's Mexican - American (we are too so it's nice to root for him in the vampire apocalypse lol), he's fine as hell,  and he reminds us of everyone we grew up with. Many are victims of their circumstances, to some extent, but can be good-natured and struggle to make the right decisions for themselves and others.

We also get a kick out of the Spanglish, I guess it makes it more relatable lol

Now where are the shirtless pictures bounce
celestial-may
celestial-may
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Gus reminds me of several of my friends. I find it interesting that there is complaining that his character is stereotyped. Not quite sure what those complainers are looking for... his character seems very real to me!
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:33 pm

GoeticDisciple wrote:Gus reminds me of several of my friends. I find it interesting that there is complaining that his character is stereotyped. Not quite sure what those complainers are looking for... his character seems very real to me!

I haven't herd of any complains about his character, but I guess it might be coming from the Latino community. I think they got upset over The Book Of Life too.
While Gus maybe a original character. A Mexican thug may be a little used for a lot of the Latino community.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:34 pm

Babywhatsyoursin wrote:We're talking about all things Gus. :p I didn't have anything particular to say, just wanted to ♡ him.

me too. plus i feel like with his humorous mannerisms on the show - he's second comedic factor next to fet...annoying for mchottie because he has to deal with that lol

but hey its like the odd couple - mchottie being the neat freak and gus the...well you know.
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:03 am

GoeticDisciple wrote:Gus reminds me of several of my friends. I find it interesting that there is complaining that his character is stereotyped. Not quite sure what those complainers are looking for... his character seems very real to me!

I can see where the argument would come from. He is quite stereotypical at times. BUT he has a lot of factors to make him so likable and human. He isnt just a crook who deserves to be thrown in jail. Hes a survivor, somebody who despite challanges has strength. Look at Eph with his problems- those just got annoying. Gus takes it all in and, though partially due to his background, seems able to jump a few more hurdles.
Babywhatsyoursin
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 am

i was only annoyed with gus when he says to mchottie - you afraid to look a mexican in the eye!!

like ok we get it you are mexican...he should have just said man instead...sheesh..the puto jokes can stay however..boy did i laugh so hard at that!!
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Majinkura wrote:i was only annoyed with gus when he says to mchottie - you afraid to look a mexican in the eye!!

Or when he refers to himself as a chalupa in the novel. That was a painful bit of writing.
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celestial-may Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Lol well I will say there is a lot of machismo in our culture so him referring to himself in third person as "mexican" does happen... hell I'm guilty of it too. It's a pride thing I guess.

Anyways, if Gus didn't street smarts from his thug life,  we wouldn't be reading or watching him kick ass in the vampire apocalypse lol

That look he gives his mama when she says she loves him, *swoon*
celestial-may
celestial-may
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoeticDisciple Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:52 pm

They did a really good job communicating the warmth between him and his mama. Very sweet.
GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steamblade Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:52 am

Gus is, by far, the most lovable and - for me - relatable character in the whole series.
He's so very young and already screwed up his life big time that it breaks my heart. And he also always acts so tough when deep inside he just wants his mother to have a good life and at least ONE son she can be proud of.
I would love to write so much more because I have a lot of very positive feelings concerning Gus but I don't want to get too emotional now.
Lets hope he gets some more screentime next season.
Steamblade
Steamblade
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

i agree with steamblade!

he's such a softy...no wonder he and mchottie relate so well.
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steamblade Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:05 am

That's what makes them such a great (BR)OTP. There's chemistry, there's that very cool and hard shell with such a soft spot inside. AND I'm pretty sure Quinlan can relate a lot to how Gus felt after losing his mother. It just makes sense in my wicked headcanon.
Steamblade
Steamblade
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down