Occido Lumen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie - Page 2 Empty Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie

Post by GoeticDisciple Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:46 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/strain-quinlan-interview-rupert-penry-815437

Well now I feel a little bit bad for ol Rupert. He knows we rabid few were going to be very disappointed. Kudos to him for being aware of what he was walking into. Sounds like the physicality of the role was anticipated as being too much for McHattie.

Excerpt below:

Quinlan is one of [Del Toro's] favorite characters. Did you feel that pressure?

The pressure really comes from the guy who ends up being Vaun, because he was my favorite character on the show and when they told me they were replacing him... they needed someone who was a little more physically able to do the role as well. I have to do lots of sword fighting and jumping around, things like that.

So I was basically taking over from someone I thought was fantastic. To step into his shoes is what the pressure is. As a fan, I’m sort of upset that he’s no longer in the show. I’m nervous about people thinking that he should have stayed as Quinlan. But Guillermo made me feel nothing but confident and comfortable about it. He watched the first few days I was on set filming and was very involved in my look and the makeup. I do feel nervous that people are going to not like him. This Quinlan is very different than the books. I’m a bit more human than the Quinlan in the books. The book people might take a bit of time to get used to it.

GoeticDisciple
GoeticDisciple
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie - Page 2 Empty Re: Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie

Post by Luccicute Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm

This show feels like a pre-cult classic. In that, it has the charm of a 'lesser movie made with love' but as of yet is pretty wooden and predictable. I'm mostly here for Gus, Vaun, and Quinlan who I feel are some of the best characters....though yeah.....even then...it feels like I'm just watching this for crumbs of development
Luccicute
Luccicute
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie - Page 2 Empty Re: Rupert Penry-Jones on replacing McHattie

Post by VampireEater Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Agreed.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:14 pm

LOL crumbs of development... we're all just sitting here like giant pigeons at a park bench like, MOAR.

Eh, true that not everyone is good at their jobs in healthcare- but while it's easy to recognize that, taking on that person's role and responsibilities is an entirely different animal. Just... meh, I wouldn't want the weight of a TV show on me.
Babywhatsyoursin
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

https://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luccicute Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:29 pm

HAHA! XD crumbs of development sadly works here i know. and yeah same about not wanting the weight of the tv show on me. I do wonder how the process of this series goes? How much does Del Toro get to say on things? How much do the actors get to give input? Its interesting that RPJ loved the character of vaun, and feared replacing him....seems odd on a writer's standpoint to just throw away a fan favorite character like that. ugh idk
Luccicute
Luccicute
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:23 pm

It is wired that the writers thought killing him off. Was better than having him.
I'd think the writers would know better than to kill off a fan favorite. To me. It would be better to have both Vaun and Quinlan share the roll of half vampire. Than kill Vaun off. Since Vaun brought his own kind of bad ass and could round out Q's persona.

I personally don't like how it feel like the writers are trying to. Not only erase Vaun from ever being in the show, but make him seem to be, just another bad guy!

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:13 am

so..much..POTENTIAAAAALLL!!!!

imagine you guys we could have had..STRIGOI TEAM SIX!!!!

Sad
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luccicute Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:31 am

Its a shame...cause 'technically' Vaun has no character. LOL no really. We all thought he was quinlan SO MUCH that, really we're mourning the death of book Quinlan. Vaun is a person we never got to know but was presented in such an intriguing way and GREAT time, that we really wanted to get to know him.

I do feel it was foolish of the writers to kill him off so suddenly, especially as a corporate stand point they could have 'milked' us fans more through him haha. But yeah..Vaun's whole story is a mess sadly. His true potential lives in 'headcanon land' lol
Luccicute
Luccicute
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 am

yup sadly we have to keep him alive ourselves...

i've asked chuck hogan to bring him back through Q's training flashbacks..but as usual got nada...

man now i'm thinking of both vamps training scenarios...
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:35 am

The writers killed off Dutch's girlfriend. At the end of season one. They can bring Vaun back into the show that same way.

I'm sorry. I can't help it. Still hoping they bring him back in! The show is just not the same with out him. Even if new Q is a bad ass. Vaun just brought his own brand of bad ass, and vampire humanity to the show. That I miss.

I'm not surprised Chuck is being quite with this. Even though the new Q has tokened off. There are still a lot of angry and confused fans out there. whom ether don't like that they didn't get the real Q. Like from the books, are unhappy the ended up with Blade, or still what Vaun back too.
Here I am rambling. Sorry about that.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Luccicute Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:01 am

haha XD i really don't think vaun is coming back tbh. he was one of my faves too but yeah...it feels like the writers made their choice. though if vaun would be coming back i would imagine he'd be used by eichorst and/or the master to locate the ancients (At least that's the only reason i could see them keeping him alive for).

ah such a shame....(that 'my name is VAUN!' line was so awkward XD)

but hey that's what fanart/fiction is for right? To build off of canon and make it your own. im gonna still draw vaun for SURE!
Luccicute
Luccicute
Human
Human

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:16 pm

I know I'm going to go insane on the Vaun art and HC. Maybe drive the writhers crazy along the way! Twisted Evil

But Palmer could have him alive some were. Like he may be trying to harvest Vaun and the others white! No body is what gives my hope that he could come back.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Majinkura Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Luccicute wrote:haha XD i really don't think vaun is coming back tbh. he was one of my faves too but yeah...it feels like the writers made their choice. though if vaun would be coming back i would imagine he'd be used by eichorst and/or the master to locate the ancients (At least that's the only reason i could see them keeping him alive for).

ah such a shame....(that 'my name is VAUN!' line was so awkward XD)

but hey that's what fanart/fiction is for right? To build off of canon and make it your own. im gonna still draw vaun for SURE!

I feel exactly the same way now.....

and vampireeater - dutch's GF ran off,it was never confirmed her dying.
Majinkura
Majinkura
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

There was a vampire at the final battle with The Master that Dutch killed. That was Nikki. Was wearing the same outfit and everything. Dutch looked at her and recognized her face. As here girlfriend. Even called her Nikki. But since it was never shown her bring turned in the show, and all the make-up the actress was wearing. The writers figured they could bring the character back.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Hmm. As I recall she recognized that vamp from somewhere else... a store or laundromat or something? Honestly though my memory is shot so I'm not 100% sure.
Babywhatsyoursin
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

https://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I thought at first it was a dealer, or someone else she said she know. I have the DVDS I'll rewatch the final battle, but I'm sure it's her girlfriend she kills.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2