*Spoilers* Feeding a "NewBorn"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

*Spoilers* Feeding a "NewBorn"

Post by GoeticDisciple on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Board's been quiet - sounds like we need something else to chew on!

So a Born vampire comes into the world...

It's a baby, therefore helpless and essentially unable to feed itself.

Is it resistant to worms? (considering the end of the books)? If it isn't, then feeding would have to be done very carefully - on prey which had not been fed upon by a fullblood strigoi (presumably, the mother). Would the mother know/be aware enough to realize the order in which things needed to happen to keep her offspring safe?

Or would a pregnant strigoi be able to produce a milk of sorts for her baby which was not infected with worms to sustain it until it could kill on its own?
GoeticDisciple
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: *Spoilers* Feeding a "NewBorn"

Post by Babywhatsyoursin on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Hmm.

Strigoi lose all unnessary body parts to their new life. Previously female strigoi do not have breasts. I wonder if that change is put on hold for a short while as the baby grows. That being said, I feel like the child does not stay with the mother for long after most of the change has occurred. Like all unnessary body parts, the baby and uterus would be shed/aborted, but by this point the child has enough immortality to it that despite the trimester it could live outside the mother's body.

The fact that The Master could not tell that Q's momma was with child makes me think that she may not have been that far along. So his rate of growth would have to be pretty quick to begin with... maybe?

My gut feeling is that the mammary glands along with other breast tissue atrophy and fall off as usual, along with the child's birth.

I can see the momma dragging prey to the babe for the short time it takes for dhampir to become mobile. The book leaves me with the impression that they grow quickly- maybe that defenseless stage isn't as long for a half vamp, and they are able to go feeding wit mom/hang on to her back and be carried during the hunt.

As for the image of mom and baby feeding on the same prey...
Spoiler:
At the end of the book, the master overwhelms Q with bloodworms...
I often wondered if Quinlan was conscious during that, but for another discussion. Anyway, I also wonder what it is that makes the dhampir unable to be infected. Do they have some sort of immune mechanism which acts on bloodworms and other disease? If that's the case, then a blood worm or two injested might not be an issue. I don't think that the worms would swim toward a feeding baby's vacuum, having found what they are looking for-- blood.

Last edited by Majinkura on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for spoilers..)
Babywhatsyoursin
Admin

View user profile http://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by guest on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:33 am

In the comic, Quinlan's mum breastfed him. So the body must prepare itself for that purpose. Maybe the breasts don't atrophy when the host is pregnant. So I was still torn on whether she produced milk, a bloodmilk mix (yak) or straight blood from her nipple to feed baby Q. Which led me too...

My fangirling..
I decided when/if the Ancient's make me that Born baby that I want..I'd just bottlefeed it blood from the blood bank. McHottie must have connections there for me..otherwise, he's milking cattle for me. I figured there must be a time when it develops the stinger powerful enough to feed off a victim. At that point it would just go down into the cattle room and feed with daddy.

Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top