Misogyny and Dutch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Misogyny and Dutch

Post by bgidget on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:11 pm

I often wonder if Dutch would get the level of hate within the fandom that she does if she were a male character. I understand that some people have perfectly valid reasons to dislike her, but I feel some people are turned off to her because she's a strong, sexual, female character. What do you guys think? This is coming from a person who sees nasty, nasty anti-gay, anti-woman comments on the Facebook page for the show and the Instagram page, as well.

bgidget
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Misogyny and Dutch

Post by Lynxcat1 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:10 pm

bgidget wrote:I often wonder if Dutch would get the level of hate within the fandom that she does if she were a male character. I understand that some people have perfectly valid reasons to dislike her, but I feel some people are turned off to her because she's a strong, sexual, female character. What do you guys think? This is coming from a person who sees nasty, nasty anti-gay, anti-woman comments on the Facebook page for the show and the Instagram page, as well.

I personally don't like Dutch as much as a character- but I do agree that it may be because her character is Bi. Though, I've never seen anti-gay/ slurs commented on FB or Insta about her character.
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bgidget on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 pm

Lynxcat1 wrote:I personally don't like Dutch as much as a character- but I do agree that it may be because her character is Bi. Though, I've never seen anti-gay/ slurs commented on FB or Insta about her character.

I haven't seen a whole lot of anti-gay sentiments, just some here or there. For the most part it's 'bitch' or 'slut' and it kind of bothers me. It's troubling how easily people can say those words about anyone. Of course I'd rather people say them about someone who is fictional, but they're still really demeaning words.

bgidget
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynxcat1 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:49 am

bgidget wrote:
Lynxcat1 wrote:I personally don't like Dutch as much as a character- but I do agree that it may be because her character is Bi. Though, I've never seen anti-gay/ slurs commented on FB or Insta about her character.

I haven't seen a whole lot of anti-gay sentiments, just some here or there. For the most part it's 'bitch' or 'slut' and it kind of bothers me. It's troubling how easily people can say those words about anyone. Of course I'd rather people say them about someone who is fictional, but they're still really demeaning words.

Yeah exactly. And Dutch has so much potential as a character, but the writers just have her sleep with every other guy/girl on the show. I just don't like how they write her personality at times....
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babywhatsyoursin on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:51 pm

What bothers me about Dutch is that between her accent and the fact that she is attractive I felt like her main purpose was sex appeal. We had Nora who was beautiful, yes, but as a character not very risque. I felt like Dutch was added to string along people who would enjoy the fact that she was a sexy badass vamp hunter... and as far as the bi thing goes, maybe also meant to appeal to those who find it particularly sexy to see two women kissing. Which is truly unfortunate.

That being said, though I don't love her, I'm warming up to her a bit more recently.

If Dutch was a man? Hmm... I think that maybe he would have similar issues with the slurs. Kindof like the mindset not just a gay man, but a man who thinks he can have women, too? How dare he. Etc.

Admin

View user profile http://occidolumenpages.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynxcat1 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Babywhatsyoursin wrote:What bothers me about Dutch is that between her accent and the fact that she is attractive I felt like her main purpose was sex appeal. We had Nora who was beautiful, yes, but as a character not very risque. I felt like Dutch was added to string along people who would enjoy the fact that she was a sexy badass vamp hunter... and as far as the bi thing goes, maybe also meant to appeal to those who find it particularly sexy to see two women kissing. Which is truly unfortunate.

That being said, though I don't love her, I'm warming up to her a bit more recently.

If Dutch was a man? Hmm... I think that maybe he would have similar issues with the slurs. Kindof like the mindset not just a gay man, but a man who thinks he can have women, too? How dare he. Etc.

Yeah exactly.
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireEater on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Well for me. I just personally never bonded with her character. I didn't see her as a strong female character. She drink as bad as Eph, might have done street drugs, although she wanted to do big things with her life, she wasted most of it doing not a lot of anything. In season one I understood why her character was their, but in season two. I really wished that she had been killed off instead of Vaun or Nora.
I can understand why people thinks she's nasty. I thought so too, she was just randomly having sex with Fet. A person she hadn't know for a long time, and wound seem she doesn't really believe in love or long lasting relationships, even with Nikky it didn't seem like they were really all that close, and that is all she every dose in season two. Have sex.
I'm not found of male characters that just have sex for sex's sake. It's a turn off for me, it's the same for female characters too, and I know it's a turn off for a lot of other people.
I know a lot of gays and bisexuals don't like her because she is a horrible representation of them. She depicts them grungy, over sexed and all and all poor. I have never seen any anty-gay comments about her character but I can understand the anty-gay comments the character gets.
I am happy that she is really doing something in season three. It's the best they have made use of her character.

VampireEater
Strigoi
Strigoi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynxcat1 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 am

VampireEater wrote:Well for me. I just personally never bonded with her character. I didn't see her as a strong female character. She drink as bad as Eph, might have done street drugs, although she wanted to do big things with her life, she wasted most of it doing not a lot of anything. In season one I understood why her character was their, but in season two. I really wished that she had been killed off instead of Vaun or Nora.
I can understand why people thinks she's nasty. I thought so too, she was just randomly having sex with Fet. A person she hadn't know for a long time, and wound seem she doesn't really believe in love or long lasting relationships, even with Nikky it didn't seem like they were really all that close, and that is all she every dose in season two. Have sex.
I'm not found of male characters that just have sex for sex's sake. It's a turn off for me, it's the same for female characters too, and I know it's a turn off for a lot of other people.
I know a lot of gays and bisexuals don't like her because she is a horrible representation of them. She depicts them grungy, over sexed and all and all poor. I have never seen any anty-gay comments about her character but I can understand the anty-gay comments the character gets.
I am happy that she is really doing something in season three. It's the best they have made use of her character.

I agree 100%.
Lynxcat1
Human
Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top